About the Role
We are looking for a Sr. commercial Counsel with prior experience in data and privacy who will join the Explorium Legal Team and support Explorium in all commercial aspects of its accelerated growth. Using their expertise, the Sr. Commercial Counsel will advise Explorium in its day-to-day business dealings and operations in the United States and internationally.
You have culminated an excellent understanding of the start-up and data legal environments. You have a can-do attitude that will help an international start-up company grow and develop within a challenging space. You are a skilled negotiator, out-of-box thinker, tech savvy skilled attorney who finds the right legal solutions to support the company’s business goals. You thrive when negotiating complex deals with both large and small companies, in a wide variety of industries. Preferably you would have a background in US data and privacy compliance, and some background in employment law.
- Review, negotiation, and execution of all US and international commercial agreements including NDAs, licensing agreements, procurement agreements, consulting and services agreements, data processing agreements, etc.
- Support business activities and objectives and provide related legal analysis.
- Support compliance efforts with respect to federal and state laws, as well as international laws and regulations, especially in areas of privacy and data protection laws (e.g. CCPA, FCRA, HIPAA,GDPR etc.), regulatory guidance.
- Provide regular, clear communication on legal issues and opportunities and assist with the identification and mitigation of risks and the development of appropriate processes and strategies.
- Support the implementation of organizational policies and procedures.
- Lead implementation, use, and execution of a contract lifecycle management solution for the company.
- Support the US office in a wide range of general in-house matters with support of outside firms and Explorium’s GC (e.g. employment, procurements, insurance, office lease).
Qualifications and skills
- 6-8 years of post bar commercial legal experience in a leading law firm or in-house legal team in the hi-tech industry – a must.
- Bar admission and in good standing in at least one state.
- JD a top tier university.
- Prior startup experience as in-house counsel – strong advantage
- Experience working in global based, multicultural, cross-time zones company, with start-up go to market attitude.
- Experience negotiating, drafting, and reviewing various commercial agreements and transnational documentations: NDAs, partnership agreements, supplier/vendor agreements, data licensing, service agreements, consultant agreements.
- Familiarity with GDPR, FCRA, other privacy/consumer-related laws
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as autonomously.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks, work on short lead times and meet tight deadlines.
- Self-driven and resourceful.
- Strong business skills and a business orientation.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, negotiation and legal drafting skills.